Kanye West issued a strict warning over the courtroom attire by judge as his trial is set to begin over his controversial Malibu mansion renovation

2025 Grammys - Source: Getty
Kanye West at the 67th Grammys Awards held at the Crypto.com Arena in Los Angeles, CA Sunday, Feb. 2, 2025. (Allen J. Schaben / Los Angeles Times via Getty Images)

Kanye West is on trial over his controversial Malibu mansion renovation. West purchased the home in 2021 for the price of $57.3 million US dollars. West then had it renovated and stripped it down, then sold it for $21 million. Among the workers was Tony Saxon, who filed the lawsuit.

Saxon has accused West of not paying him as per the agreement made between them, which said that Saxon was to be paid $20,000 per week. Saxon said in the complaint that he was only paid once. Saxon was hired to manage construction workers and provide security for the event.

The complaint asks for compensation for unpaid dues as well as medical fees and damages. Saxon has also stated that the specific renovations created unsafe working conditions due to the removal of vital infrastructure from the mansion.

The trial is set to start next week, and now the judge for the Trial, Judge Brock T. Hammond, has issued strict warnings to Kanye West as well as witness Bianca Censori, over courtroom attire, stating that everyone is expected to adhere to decorum and those who do not will not be allowed to enter the courtroom:

"The parties and witnesses you’re calling must comply with the basic dress code of the court. No hats, sunglasses, or revealing clothing. No drama. And if someone doesn't comply, they will not be allowed in the courtroom. If a witness is not dressed appropriately, they will be turned around at the door."

The Judge issued the warning in the final status conference before the trial started. In the same conference, the judge also made it clear that no special treatment would be provided in terms of security for West due to his popularity:

"There is no special treatment for anyone in this courthouse. I can tell you that court security knows this case is coming up. There will be a deputy in the courtroom."

The judge's statement regarding no special treatment came in response to the issue of West's fame being brought by his and his wife's counsel, Andrew Cherkasky, who pointed out that Mark Zuckerberg faced a mob of crowd while going to another trial the week before. Cherkasky said that he feared the same might happen to West.

Cherkasky also feared that people with their own strongly held opinions might show up with offensive messages. The judge responded by saying those displaying offensive messages will be excluded.

Kanye West previously sued Tony Saxon for putting a lien on his Malibu mansion wrongfully.


More on Tony Saxon's lawsuit against Kanye West

Kanye West has denied any wrongdoing in the lawsuit matter. Tony Saxon stated in the complaint that the rapper had asked him to remove all windows and electricals, forcing him to rely on large generators only.

Saxon says in the complaint that he objected to that, since it poses extreme danger to safety as well as a fire hazard. He has also stated that he was injured in the back at work. Aside from the lawsuit, Saxon has also stated in an Instagram post that West wanted a bomb shelter under the mansion.

The Malibu mansion in question was designed by Japanese architect Tadao Ando. Kanye West sold the mansion in 2024 after, as mentioned above, stripping it down to its shell, with everything removed. The stripping bare of the mansion had been of interest in the news at the time when it was down.

Love movies? Try our Box Office Game and Movie Grid Game to test your film knowledge and have some fun!

Edited by Amey Mirashi