TMZ’s Harvey Levin claims FBI contacted Mexican authorities in Nancy Guthrie investigation

Nancy Guthrie Still Missing As Ransom Deadline From Purported Abductors Nears - Source: Getty
Nancy Guthrie Still Missing As Ransom Deadline From Purported Abductors Nears - Source: Getty

Nancy Guthrie's investigations have reportedly gone international. On Wednesday morning, TMZ's founder, Harvey Levin, shared a new update related to Savannah Guthrie's mother's disappearance case. The TV producer claimed that sources told the outlet that the FBI had contacted Mexican authorities.

"We have learned the FBI has told federal Mexican law enforcement to tell various police agencies to be on the lookout for Nancy and her kidnapper," Levin stated.

He added that law enforcement sources believed it was possible that Nancy had been taken across the border, though they doubted it happened immediately after the alleged kidnapping.

"We're told that because we know now that the FBI checked cameras, border patrol cameras, and also other various electronic devices. We are asked not to be specific about that. And they have come up dry. There is nothing showing any movement across the border where they suspect Nancy Guthrie was in that car," Levin added.

TMZ's founder said that sources spoke about the possibility of Guthrie being taken to Mexico days after being kidnapped. So far, the media outlet has received four notes from an unknown person, who claimed to possess intelligence regarding Nancy Guthrie's potential kidnappers. In one of the notes, the sender suggested that Savannah Guthrie's mother was taken to Mexico.

However, Sheriff Chris Nanos dismissed such a possibility. Fox News host Jonathan Hunt interviewed Nanos on February 17. Hunt later shared that he asked the sheriff about the possibility of kidnappers taking Nancy Guthrie across the southern border. The sheriff reportedly responded that the FBI had found no indications of that.


TMZ receives a new ransom note in the Nancy Guthrie case

In the video, Harvey Levin further claimed that TMZ received another ransom note demanding nearly $6 million in the form of crypto (not Bitcoin). The email reportedly described the "consequences" graphically if the demand was not met. Levin noted that the crypto account provided in the latest note was different from what was mentioned in the previous ransom note.

Harvey Levin stressed that he could not share more information about the new ransom note. He said that the outlet had forwarded the note to the FBI. The journalist also issued a warning on behalf of the law enforcement authority.

"There's one other thing that I was asked to mention, and that is something I know to be true. The FBI is really serious that anybody who is trying to get money from the Guthrie family with a phony demand letter is going to spend, as it was put to me, a long, long time in federal prison," he stated.

TMZ’s founder also reported that a separate FBI team has been actively searching for people who had "bought items similar" to those visible in the footage of the potential kidnapper captured by Nancy Guthrie’s front-door camera.


Also read: What happened to Christy Carlson Romano? Former Disney actress breaks down in tears as she reveals health diagnosis

Love movies? Try our Box Office Game and Movie Grid Game to test your film knowledge and have some fun!

Edited by Sohini Biswas